Wednesday 3 March 2010

Re reading for week 7 by Liou

A response to Practical Considerations for Multimedia Courseware Development: an EFL IVD Experience. Hsien-Chin Liou.

In Taipei in 1998 I was drafted into transcribing some of the scenes from the movie The Mask. Every time I missed a word I would have to replay the movie and I would have to go back about 7 minutes and watch again and try and transcribe the word. The net result was it took a lot of time to transcribe even a small clip of the movie. Liou describes a technique called IVD Interactive Video Disk. This article was written nearly 6 years ago, so I would expect that the technology has vastly improved since then, a 486 and 8Mb of RAM was mentioned. One of the movies being used to developed this was Ghostbusters. This is all very well but some would argue that this was a bit dated. Today's blockbuster is tomorrow's old movie. Maybe now the technology has evolved so that Hollywood's latest can be used in the classroom almost immediately. It strikes me that students would really enjoy this sort of activity. It did mention that lay teachers would be able to use the software. That would be a huge plus IMHO. Quizzes can be constructed, there seems to be many options for students to interact. If this sort of thing could be used with the latest popular movies I am sure it would be very useful indeed. The bottom line is will the students like it ? Esperanto is the perfect language, regular verbs, easy to use, the only trouble being hardly anybody uses it so it is worthless.

3 comments:

  1. It is quite noticeable how quickly things change in the computer world. A 8Mb of RAM is a bit on the small size to put it mildly. 20 years ago I helped a woman buy a 286, it had 20 Mb of RAM and then, that was big ! I have 8 Gb on Micro SD card on my phone. In 10 years time I suspect computers will be faster, with lots of RAM and huge capacity hard disks, it is called progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What surprised me is that for a native speaker, it also takes a lot of time to transcribe even a small clip of the movie. For me, a EFL, this work is really a chanllenge for me. I have not tried to write down transcriptions of chinese movie. Maybe, it's difficult and hard to write down everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have to do transcription it does take a lot of time. My handwriting is pretty awful at the best of times. Example I had a job keeping up with Claire as she was speaking so fast and I was writing so slowly. I think some kind of recording device would have made the transcription easier.

    ReplyDelete