Thursday 22 April 2010

Re Windows Live SkyDrive

On 22 April 2010 I up loaded an Excel file to SkyDrive and I have been trying to download it, I cannot as it has been "corrupted". I am not sure quite why this is. It does make me think that to rely on SkyDrive 100% is maybe not such a good idea at all. I am not about to dump my Flash RAMs. The original posting can be seen here.

This is something called Cloud computing. One advantage is 25Gb for free ! Another advantage is that whereas flash RAMs are very small and easy to lose, SkyDrive will always be there. If you have your vital data in multiple places if you have the misfortune to lose a flash RAM (Claire and Iris please take note) it is not a major calamity. If I have vital data that I cannot afford to lose I will store it on my flash RAM, an external hard disk, SkyDrive, my notebook and my netbook and then e mail it to myself. Computers do fall over, sometimes they get stolen, flash RAMs get forgotten, power surges can destroy computers. Unless you want to write that assignment all over again store it in different places.

6 comments:

  1. What is SkyDrive? It shows in my hotmail. account but I never used it. Can you tell me more about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Jenny SkyDrive is 25Gb of free storage from Windows Live. You can put things on it and download as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is also a facility so that you can share your files with the public or not. I have uploaded assignments to SkyDrive from my notebook and then I have been able to access them from my netbook at CityU.

    This is something called Cloud http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing
    If you can have 25Gb free of charge it is the right price. Iris and Claire have forgotten their flash RAMs and could have lost valuable data. If they had used SkyDrive instead this would not have been a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think one of the soultions is to make a Raid 1 hard disk system in your computer which allows high levels of storage reliability. I use three disks to make up the system. Every thing I save in Disk one will also be saved in disk 2 and 3 as mirrors automatically. Even disk 1 and 2 lose their normal function, disk three can provide the mirror to save you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well thank you Mr. Dictionary, now I will have to figure out what you are saying ! This will have to be looked into later when I have more time. Right now time is in very short supply.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That means it is a online USB.

    ReplyDelete