Thursday 24 May 2012

Regarding web pages

I had some issues with my web site and the web developer was nowhere to be found. I think this is par for the course! I was unable to post images to my web site and far worse unable to backup the site I did get some useful information from the web host . It seems I had a permissions issue. This all sounded way too geeky for my liking. It seemed that the web developer had changed the password and not told me about this at all. ABCHK changed it back and pointed me in the direction of the DirectAdmin site. I had to enter an IP address and then my user name and a password. I then had to wade through the files and find the gallery in question. This was carefully hidden in the wp-content folder. The gallery folder had to be opened and then the required gallery had to have the permissions changed to 777. The required gallery had to be opened and then the "Thumbs" folder had to be given the 777 permission. I was then able to upload whatever images I wanted. Giving permission to the Thumbs folder enabled the thumbnail to be generated and thus shown on the web site. Then the image had to be changed from being owned by apache to being owned by me. This was done by the click of a button. After that had been done the permissions had to be returned to normal. If you fail to return the permissions to the normal code of 755 anybody can alter the posting and that would not be good at all. This took me ages to figure out the hard way. However, it has now been done. Had I not had prior blogging experience I don't think I could have managed this at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment