Saturday 18 June 2011

Re: You Tube

It seems that some universities are starting to take You Tube seriously.  This was highlighted by an article I spotted in a Kiwi newspaper.  To the uninitiated Kiwi = New Zealand.  The article points out that by exploiting You Tube students are more inclined to turn in their assignments The article is here.  I have heard of students putting a lot more effort into their presentations when it was going to be uploaded to You Tube.

I worked at a school in Wong Tai Sin and the school had an orchestra that used a lot of Chinese instruments, the likes of which I have not seen before.  It is fortunate that schools try and preserve Chinese music in this manner.  I suggested to the principal that she should do a You Tube presentation of the orchestra playing. 

Maybe teachers should exploit this idea to encourage their students to put more work into assignments.

I maintain a collection of potentially useful You Tube clips as I feel they have much use to students of all ages. Some students, particularly younger students do not seem to be motivated by the endless photocopies that learning centres often rely on.  These same students take notice of a suitable You Tube clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment